Kerstin's Nature Products For People And Pets

Find the best from nature for yourself, your family and your beloved pets

Kerstin's Blog

10 THINGS NOT TO FEED YOUR DOGS!

Posted by Kerstin on February 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM


We love our dogs. . .but just like kids they can get into things they should not eat. Here is a list of 10 food items that you should never feed your dog:

 

Chocolate

Onions

Tomato stems or leaves

Pits from peaches or plums

Raisins

Rhubarb leaves

Sugary foods

Tobacco

Bones

Nuts

 

Now for the reasons WHY you should not feed your dog -

 

Chocolate - chocolate, especially baker's chocolate is dangerous to dogs. Cats are mostly unaffected since they do not like the taste of chocolate; however, dogs love it. Chocolate contains various chemicals which are called methylxanthine alkaloids and some types of chocolate have more of these chemicals than others. Relatively small amounts of chocolate can cause serious problems such as constriction of the arteries and increased heart rate. Large amounts may cause even more dire symptoms and a pound of milk chocolate could possibly kill a 16 pound dog. Make sure your children understand how important it is not to feed your dog chocolate.

 

Onions - onions, garlic or anything from the onion family contain sulfoxides and disulfides known to damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Raw onions can cause liver damage. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Avoid onion (or garlic) powder as ingredients in any food you are feeding your dog or cat - this includes dog and cat food.

(A WORD ABOUT GARLIC: When used in moderation, garlic can be a healthy supplement. Garlic can be used to stimulate and support immune function, trigger gastric juices for better digestion, encourage the growth of friendly bacteria, and prevent infections. Garlic reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer as well as improves blood sugar regulation and promotes detoxification. Aged Garlic Extract could be the most suitable form, particularly for long-term use.)

 

Tomato leaves and stems - The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects. However ripetomatoes, the part of the plant typically used in food products, are not toxic.

 

Pits from peaches, plums or other fruits with pits - all fruits with pits can cause an obstruction in the digestive tract.

 

Raisins - grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure - just a few raisins can kill a dog.

 

Rhubarb leaves - these leaves contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.

 

Sugary foods - just like in humans too much sugar could lead to dental problems, obesity, and possible diabetes mellitus.

 

Tobacco - because tobacco contains nicotine, it could affect the nervous and digestive systems causing rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death. If your dog eats cigarettes it releases toxins throughout their bodies.

 

Bones - large bones that cannot splinter are usually ok. If your dog can chew them up do not use them. Soft bones like chicken and fish are definitely bad. If you have a dog with a larger set of jaws, it is possible they could bite off and swallow a piece of bone too large for them to pass, this would be very dangerous and possibly life threatening. Be careful with bones since they can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

 

Nuts - All nuts contain fats, which can lead to gastrointestinal upset, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Foods with high fat contents can also potentially produce an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis. In addition, many commercially sold nuts are salted-and if a pet consumed a large volume of salt from the nuts, this could potentially pose a risk for the development of a sodium ion toxicosis.



Categories: Pets